Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Weight Loss Wednesday: Big Guys and the "Slob" Stereotype

I went to work yesterday with a fresh haircut, a tailored suit and a lightly starched shirt. I felt good. More than that... I felt like I looked good. Not movie star good, but better than I have looked in quite some time. I looked in the mirror and saw progress. People at work, both customers and coworkers seemed to notice as well. I received several comments like "You look great!" or "How much weight have you lost?"

The funny thing is... I have not lost a lot lately. I have lost 10 pounds or so this year. This is progress, but not the kind that people usually notice on a guy my size. That is when it dawned on me... it was the professional look that accentuated the weight loss.

Photo courtesy of http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/

You see, most of us big guys fight what I call the "Slob" Stereotype. You know, when people picture a guy my size, they picture someone who looks like Kevin Smith in this photo. Baggy clothes, ratty beard, unkempt hair. Lazy, messy and maybe smelly. Probably eating a bag of potato chips and a 44 oz. Mountain Dew. You know the stereotype... I know I do

Us big guys have to fight hard to kick this stereotype. A young, fit guy can pull off a 5 o'clock shadow as a style, but I just look like I was too lazy to shave. Suit-coat without a tie... same thing. For him it is a style, for me it is sloppy. This got me thinking about a few tips for building a basic professional wardrobe as a big guy. 
Photo courtesy of http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/


  • Build your wardrobe a little bit at a time. Maybe one item of clothing each pay period. Buy quality, and it will last longer.
  • Fit is king, nothing can make cheap clothes look better like a good fit, and conversely, nothing can make expensive clothes look cheap like a bad fit. Tagged clothing size varies widely by manufacturer, a large isn't always a large and an XXL might be a medium. 

  • Build your "Interview Outfit" first -  For most professional positions (human resources, finance, management, high-clerical, education, sales) you'll want a suit. Some positions will require a simple button-up and dress trousers or chinos.
  • Suits
    • Start with a simple charcoal or navy suit. These work for anything from an interview to daily wear or even a funeral. Add a black suit next, and then something different like olive or pinstriped.
    • Make sure it fits at the shoulders. Anything else can be tailored, and should be.
    • Find a good tailor - nothing fits off of the shelf when you are a big guy.
    • A white button up is standard. The shirt sleeve should just show past the suit sleeve.
    • You should never button the bottom button. The Jacket should not stretch or pull when you button it.
    • If a tie is worn, it should end at the top of your belt. Learn to tie a Windsor knot.
  • Button up shirts
    • As with the suit, make sure it fits at the shoulders. The seam should be right at your shoulder bone. Have it tailored.
    • Stick with long sleeves in the professional world. If you do go short sleeves, don't wear a tie. It will make you look like a waiter. 
    • The lighter the color, the more formal. The shirt should generally be lighter in color than the pants.
    • Tuck it in and wear a belt.
    • Your undershirt should not show.
  • Pants
    • Avoid pleats. Flat front pants are more flattering on us big guys.
    • Typically pants should stay at the hips without a belt. I know your belly will push the pants down when you walk, but when trying them on, that is how they should fit.
    • Pants should not drag the ground and fray. Have them tailored... are you sick of that advice yet?
    • Chinos or dress pants. 
    • If you have a casual Friday, go with a dark blue paired with black dress shoes. 
  • Accessories
    • Shoes and belts should generally match.
    • A watch is a good way to dress up an outfit. Black faces are more casual, and white faces are more professional. Might I suggest  The Timex Weekender?
So that is my list. I am in the process of building my wardrobe right now. My biggest complaint is that I am dropping weight fast enough that I am replacing things more often than I'd like, but I guess that is a good problem to have! 

Let me know if you agree or disagree with my thoughts on fashion. Sorry ladies, I don't know a lot about fashion, and what I do know is just what I have learned to help myself. I'd love to share more fashion tips for you ladies in another blog, so email me or leave your fashion tips in the comments below. I'll use them in the future.

 Email me, Chimtot@gmail.com. Twitter @chimtot. Leave a comment right here if you want! I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment