Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Weight Loss Wednesday: Why Do YOU Want to Lose Weight?

Hey everyone! Welcome out to this week's Weight Loss Wednesday post! As normal I will start by sharing some progress that I have made, along with highlighting that of a few of my friends!

As of this morning I am at 338.8 lbs, down roughly .8 lb for the week and 51 from my heaviest point.

 
Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

I got a new friend invite on Myfitnesspal.com this week (my username is Chimtot, please send me an invite so that we can lose together!) who has already lost 3 lbs! I have been watching her in my news feed and noticed that she consistently exercises and comes in under her calorie goal! That makes her a rock star in my book!

As usual, here is my Youtube video if you would prefer to listen to or watch what I have to say this week rather than reading.



Now that all of my obligatory cross-promotion and begging for your support on other websites is done... allow me to tell you about my week and share some of my thoughts with you.

Let me start by saying, I had a terrible week. Not just a bad week on the scale, but an actual poor week in the food choices that I made. On Wednesday after work I attended a ball game at out local minor league ballpark. I was doing well up until that point in the day, but there is something about hot wings, Bratwursts and nachos that I have a hard time saying "no" to. 

I mentioned last week that I consider getting on the scale every morning an important part of consistently losing weight. You actually allow your brain to provide instant feedback and, as you make progress, immediate reward for the progress you are making. Psychologists call this phenomenon a Feedback Loop. That link takes you to a article on Wired.com, and while it is a long read, it is very worth a read.

I got up on Thursday morning, got on the scale, and the feedback loop kicked into full effect. I was UP 3 lbs, erasing all of my progress from the week before... in one night! Well, I instantly got back on track, lost that weight, and despite another minor gain on Sunday, I ended the week having lost another pound. Oh, and just so you know, those of you reading this blog are a big part of that, because I did not want to come and report to you that I gained weight this week! Just by coming here, even if I do not know you, you are helping me to lose. Thanks for that!

My week of mixed success really got me thinking about three things that are instrumental in having success during a week where you might have fallen off of the bandwagon... or gotten onto the bandwagon... I never remember how that saying is supposed to go.

  1. Know why YOU want to change your life to become more healthy
  2. - If the only reason you are eating better or exercising is to lose weight, you will fail. Look harder at the underlying reasons why you need or want to  make a change. You have to truly have a passion to change your life! Losing weight is not your passion, or you would not have put on the weight in most cases. Maybe you passion is your children. Maybe it is your health. Maybe your doctor told you it was time to lose weight or draw up a will. If you are trying to lose weight, I encourage you to think about why you want to. I promise that it will change the way you attack your weight loss journey once you put it in words.

  1. Don't let one or two bad days, or bad choices derail all of your progress
  2. - Look at the change you have made already. You are reading a weight loss blog, written by a fat guy who has lost 50 lbs and who you probably don't even know, for crying out loud! If you are doing that, I am sure you have made other changes as well. Don't be mad at yourself for having a weak moment... be mad at the company that created the product that is so bad for you. Be mad at them for trying to attack you! When you drive by the fast food place, yell "Shame on you for trying to hurt me!" Or don't yell it. Just think it. Better yet, go ahead and yell it, and when you see me at the stop light, I will yell with you!

  1. Even the smallest changes can have great results when repeated consistently
  2. - If you only lose 1 lb per week, you will lose over 50 lbs in a year. How awesome is that? I bet most of us can lose 2 ounces per week. That adds up to six and a half lbs in a year! That may not be a lot on my scale (less than 2% of my body weight) but if you only have that last 5 lbs to go, you are on track!



Photo courtesy of http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/

Leave a comment below to let me know why YOU want to change your life, how your weight loss is going or how you deal with a bad day. I really want to make this an interactive blog. You guys might get bored if you have to listen to me all the time! Thanks for stopping by to visit, and remember, even if you don't have weight to lose, I'd love the support and encouragement that you can give me, and I will do the same for you. Talk to you all next week!

Related Links

No comments:

Post a Comment